If you’ve done any sort of cookie or sheet pan baking, you know how much of a pain (and costly) parchment paper can be. Unless you pay a premium for the perfect cookie-sheet-size parchment, it often take a lot of measuring and folding and refolding and wasting to fit a piece of parchment perfectly on your cookie sheet. I’ll be honest, I do prefer parchment to foil for easy clean-up, but nothing beats a silicon baking mat (I own 3).
- They’re environmentally friendly and cost effective because they can be used (over and over) in place of parchment, wax paper, and tin foil.
- They fit perfectly into a standard 13×18″ half-sheet pan so no more wrestling with odd shaped parchment or foil. And they roll up nicely for easy storage.
- They can be use for for baking, roasting and freezing, withstanding temperatures from -40 to 480 degrees F.
- They are easy to clean. (I find it easiest to clean them while still on the sheet pan.)
- They are made of FDA and LFGB approved materials and they are free of BPA and PFOA.
I have THIS set of 2 by Artisan and 1 original Silpat, both available on Amazon. I’ve dedicated one of them to savory cooking like roasting veggies or making Pizza Pockets and the other 2 to sweets. They are amazing and cookies especially, cook more evenly and uniformly. Seeeeeee:
Side note: Concerned about the safety of food grade silicon? Like many things science, there isn’t a TON of definitive research. BUT as of now, it’s been proven safe. For more info, check out THIS article from Scientific American discussing the safety of silicon in cooking.